Additional protections

While the California Consumer Privacy Act covers consumers rights regarding personal information, there are many additional protections and resources available to you to protect your privacy. See below for links to other government agencies that provide help with various privacy concerns.

Financial privacy

You can submit complaints regarding the business practices of financial institutions, financial technology service providers, lenders, investment advisers, and broker dealers to the California Department of Financial Protection and Innovation, or a federal counterpart, such as the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau or the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. 

In addition, you can submit an investor complaint to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission to report problems with investments, an investment account, or a financial professional.

Health privacy

If you have a complaint about the unlawful disclosure of protected health information under HIPAA, you can submit a complaint to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

The California Department of Health Care Services administers California’s Medi-Cal program and provides information about Medi-Cal members’ privacy rights.

Civil rights violations

You can submit complaints alleging unlawful discrimination to the California Department of Civil Rights.

You can also submit complaints about civil rights violations to the Civil Rights Division of the U.S. Department of Justice.

Criminal violation of your privacy by another person

If you are in immediate danger, call 911. 

If you have a complaint alleging trespass, unlawful surveillance, or other criminal conduct such as harassment online or offline, you should contact your local police or sheriff department.

Violation by a government or law enforcement agency

The CCPA does not apply to searches by police or law enforcement. However, you have a constitutional right to privacy under the California Constitution and protection from unreasonable searches and seizures under the Fourth Amendment of the United States Constitution.  

The CCPA also does not apply to state agencies, but the California Information Practices Act generally applies to the disclosure of personal information by state agencies. If you believe a state agency has violated this law, you should contact an attorney who can advise you about your rights. The California Privacy Protection Agency cannot provide you with legal advice or represent you in personal legal actions. 

You may obtain a referral to a certified lawyer referral service with the California State Bar.

If you cannot afford an attorney, you may wish to contact your local legal aid office. You can find a directory on LawHelpCA

Members of the armed forces and their dependents can also obtain legal assistance from their local JAG legal assistance office

Data breach

You can find a list of registered data breaches on the California Department of Justice’s website. If you believe you have been victim of a data breach, you can submit a complaint with the California Department of Justice.  

Identity theft

The California Department of Justice provides resources for victims of identity theft. You can also file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission on a range of fraud concerns, including identity theft. In addition, the California Department of Financial Protection and Innovation has a helpful guide with tips on how to safeguard your personal and financial information.

Children’s privacy

Helpful guidance on how to protect your children’s privacy online can be found at the California Department of Justice’s website. The webpage also includes links to other resources, including nonprofits.

The Federal Trade Commission also provides resources to help protect children’s privacy online.


Tips on how to reduce unsolicited telemarketing calls, emails, texts, mail, and faxes can be found on the California Department of Justice’s website. In addition, the webpage provides information about how to submit a complaint.

Student privacy

The California Department of Education has a list of resources for guardians on how to keep their student’s information more secure. In addition, the Department provides resources and training for educators on how to properly collect and maintain student data.